SDA member, Maryn Brown, created an enticingly beautiful winter farmer's market salad recipe that's simple AND nutritious! Thank you for sharing!
Simple Winter Farmers Market Salad
4 small to medium sized roasted beets
2 oranges (I used Cara Cara and Blood oranges)
4 cups arugula
1/8 cup pistachios, crushed (or other type of nut that you like)
olive oil for roasting beets
2 Tbs lemon juice plus 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 minced shallot
1 Tbs Dijon mustard or coarse grain mustard
2 Tbs sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Chop off the beet greens and save to use in another recipe. Scrub the beets clean. Place beets on top of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap aluminum foil around beets and make sure the foil is sealed. Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Beets are ready when they can be pierced easily.
2. While the beets are cooking prepare the vinaigrette so that it can rest and build flavor. For the vinaigrette combine all of the ingredients in a shaker or whisk together in a bowl. Set the dressing aside.
3. Peel oranges, cut up the avocado, and crush the pistachios.
4. Once the beets are done cooking let them cool off enough so that you can pick them up. Rub off the beet skins using your hands or a towel. Slice beets.
5. Place two cups of arugula on each plate. Divide the oranges, beets, and avocado between the two plates. Drizzle 2 Tbs vinaigrette on each salad. (If eating the second salad the next day don't put salad dressing on until you are ready to eat it.) Sprinkle pistachios on top and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Maryn Brown
If you are interested in contributing to our blog, please contact us at email@example.com